Monday, November 30, 2015

Azaleas in Bloom

My small quilt created with silks and sari fabric is finished!

Inspired by the Winter pattern in Sujata's book.

Quilted by Debra Voigt.

You can read the full reveal post over on my blog.
(including a link to the back story)


Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Audrey's Tipsy Geese

"Tipsy Geese" made by Audrey over at Quilty Folk. She says she is not a big fan of the process of making improv quilts. I love her folk art quilts. I do consider them improve as she does lot of applique. Visit her blog to see what she has to say about this process.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Peppermint Pinwheel Pillow

Try saying that fast a few times!
I was given three fat quarters last week, and turned them into this. Being fat quarters, I had to make my squares smaller (8 1/2" cut). But it's cute and I'm planning on the larger version.
I have a question though. Maybe it's because I started with a smaller square, but when I sewed the final seam, there was such a thick gob of fabric in the middle that I couldn't even sew through it. I was glad for the appliqué square in the middle as I just cut the gob away after I sewed it down. Any ideas? I did cut away a corner as suggested in the pattern.
Thanks again Sujata, for a great book. And to everyone else who has made this quilt....I've been studying your photos and they're all beautiful.

Friday, November 20, 2015

Design Challenge from Sujata

Did you miss Sujata's Facebook post last week?

For sale at Esther Fitzgerald Rare Textiles, London
Inspired by this early 20th century textile made by the Ewe people of Ghana, Sujata challenges us to reinterpret it as a quilt.

I'm in; are you?


Friday, November 6, 2015

Batik Rail Fence sewn

     The batik rail fence, using 6 inch strips, is all sewn. I have 5 extra blocks, so would need to make 7 more to make another quilt. The blocks finish at 19". Very fun to make!!

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Winter ... renamed First Frost

The last time I posted regarding this quilt, I thought I was almost finished.  After all, I had
both the front & the back "done".  Thank You & More  The front, however, sat on my design wall for a long time because it just didn't seem ... well, like "me".  So I added a pieced border & loved it!  (At last count there were 95 different fabrics in the top.)

When it came to the quilting, I ran into trouble.  It seemed like organic vertical lines would work. But they didn't & for the first time ever I picked out every last stitch over a three day period.  Additionally, the quilt seemed too puffy which I felt detracted from the design so I switched the batting.  And then there was the pieced back which needed to be enlarged because of the border & although I was happy with how it turned out, maybe between the front & the back, there were just too many seams for my home machine to handle.  So I made a new back & plan to turn the first back into a new quilt.

Here's the final finish which I love!  A friend asked me if I would donate it to a fundraiser 
which I did.  Here's hoping someone else will love it, too!