Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Chinese Coin Quilt with Cultural Fusion Borders

I've been working with Chinese Coins as an alternative use for strings and finally finished this quilt. Only a year in the making. Wanting to continue the freehand cutting and piecing, I made the borders with ideas from Sujata's book.



The navy and purple diamonds of the inner border used her Hourglass instructions while the pennants of the outer border started as Endless Mountains. It was exciting to combine different quilting instructions into an original work, to mix scissor cutting with rotary cutting, and to work with a broad range of scraps and colorful fabric from my stash. More details on my blog.

Thanks for your friendship and inspiration, Sujata.

Ann



10 comments:

  1. That really is a great border for the coin center. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glen. Combining ideas from different places made this a fun project.

      Delete
  2. Love all of the different things going on and all the different fabrics. I went to your blog and see that it is big- how cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It is a busy quilt but I enjoyed every step.

      Delete
  3. Ann, this is stunning, busy and vibrant but full of life. I love it. Thanks for popping over to my humble blog too. I love Sujata's work and will do more of her patterns, once I'm finished my multiple tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you to write, Caroline. The quilt does jump out at you, doesn't it? We are always challenged to finish our tops. I think Sujata's ideas will inspire you as much as they do me.

      Delete
  4. Ann, What a great finish! I am curious to see this quilt in person soon. We should talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sujata. Let's make a date when I get back to town.

      Delete
  5. These are such fun to see! Great to mix things up and include the wonderful borders from Sujata. Especially like the line of black bits between the two colors. Super finish. I read your blog and really appreciate the details on the quilting too! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was fun to mix an idea from Gee's Bend with Sujata's freehand cutting. After years of quilting I finally realize I like sewing the tops and mixing prints more than quilting. I have to find ways to make that part more appealing or I end up with loads of tops and few quilts. I'm so glad you enjoy details; I do, too.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.