Sunday, August 28, 2016

Autumn wall hanging in progress

Hi,
I'm working on an autumn wall hanging with hour glass blocks.

What do you think ? With or without blue ?
In the second picture I took some spare blocks to cover the blue ones.
 

Thank you for your opinion :-)

Heidi

Friday, August 19, 2016

Sea Glass - A Nursery Quilt



Sea Glass is my fourth freeform Rail Fence quilt
from Sujata's book.





This nursery quilt was created
for our oldest son and his wife.

They both love the beach
so I chose warm sandy tones
and turquoise/teal water colors.

(soothing and comforting for those 
late night rocking chair sessions)





Here's a flat photo of the scrappy quilt back.

(You can double click to enlarge the photo)




Quilted using Max, my APQS George sit down long arm,
Glide thread, Hobbs Tuscany Wool blend,
and Barb Vedder's Baptist Fans stencil.



Gifted during a baby shower,
the quilt was very well received.


P.S.  Our grandson was born nearly 7 weeks early.

Connor is now two weeks old
weighs 3 lbs. 12 ozs.
and seems to be doing well in NICU.



Quiltdivajulie





Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Hourglass Play

Among my favorite quilts in Sujata's book are 
the hourglass ones and I knew that one day
I would experiment with her method.

I've been saving two small bundles for just the right  project.
One bundle is Oakshott and the other Handcrafted.
I thought they would work together 
but now I'm not sure.  
They are both quite saturated and many are dark or "neonish".

I've been making both square and rectangular blocks and
will make more before trying to arrange them.
Here's what I've done so far.




Saturday, April 30, 2016

An Experiment in Size

I recently did an experiment trying some of the Rail Fence blocks at half-size and I thought you might like to see it.


This block is 8 inches finished.  Isn't it cute?

I cut my initial blue and white strips at 3 1/2 inches wide, then sliced with the rotary cutter per the directions and sewed them together, as usual.  Then I cut the sewn strips down to 2 1/2 inches wide, and sub-cut the units at 2 1/2 inches also.  I was worried about my math skills, but it worked great!

This allowed me to use some of the smaller fabrics I had.

And here is what I made with the four smaller blocks that I made:


You can read more about my experiment on my blog:


Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Many Possibilities

Surprise!  Look what I did with the Toran idea!  I had intended to try out one of the layouts from the book, then kept playing and ended up with this setting.


Close-up of quilting;  walking foot is a great friend.


Thursday, January 28, 2016

A new Toran

     I have been string piecing along ready to get enough blocks to make a Toran, (p. 30, in case you missed it). Finally, I was able to piece it together. I do not think I will make a border. The blocks were trimmed at 9", so the finished blocks were 8 1/2". I have more details and process photos on my blog. I made the cuts a bit curvier as I wanted a wavy flow. It was a lot of fun!
http://artinsearch.blogspot.com/2016/01/string-based-quilt-sewn-up.html

Thursday, January 21, 2016

maybe red is my new neutral


Over the last few days I've been trying to make a few decisions about my latest quilt, a twist on the traditional Kaleidoscope quilt, inspired by Sujata's 'Organised Chaos' quilt.






Those corner triangles were proving to be a tricky decision!
I lay all 20 blocks out on the floor and looked at them {and walked around them} for a few days
I trialled a few options
and then...




... hm-m-m- maybe red really is my new neutral after all!

See here and here for more details 
Linda